Monday, June 23, 2008

week in review: life in still life

This is one of those times when I don't feel like I've got too much news, but then I look back on my week and know what? I find I was pretty busy. As you know, I had a little birthday last week (thank you for your comments! yippie!) and found myself on the track during that time toward my first apartment here in Portland. Last Thursday I went in the morning to look around for jobs, dropped off some resumes and took myself out for a really lovely Thai lunch for the special day.

In the afternoon I met with my future landlord out in SE for coffee at Tiny's. They had some pretty cool paintings up on the walls and were playing Belle & Sebastian, so I was happy in my nerdy 90's sort of way. I had to write my DOB on the rental application, and it didn't take long for my landlord to catch on. Upon wrapping up the meeting, he sent me off on a birthday walk through a rose-lined neighborhood to this incredible espresso bar. I picked up mouth-watering peanut butter cake (slice) for myself (and a sinful cheesecake slice for my sister) that I proceeded to nurse for the next 3 days. Our friends here in SW brought home an incredibly silky chocolate cake that night, too, one of the best cakes I've ever had. Man, this place has far too much good food. Ugh!

My sister and I spent the weekend house-sitting for K and R, who also live in SE (and had just gotten this mini kitchen set for their own Gemini, Miss Ruby... happy second birthday little lady!). I spent the weekend mostly just drawing, cooking VEGETABLES (but nibbling at cake), exploring South East which is now my neighborhood too, and ducking into thrift stores. When K and R came home, they introduced us to our fourth cake of the week- mercy!... but it sure was delicious!

My good news is that the apartment came together (!) and I'll be moving in at the beginning of July. I'm very, very excited to learn more about the area and becoming comfortable enough to really get into art-making again. My future roommate is spending my first month on the lease in India (!) so I'll be hanging out with her cat (and posting pictures of the house) while she is away.

I probably won't post again until the job is finalized, too, but wanted to catch up as best I could before another break from the blog. Hope everyone is having a great summer!

3 comments:

korin said...

Yay for yummy weekends and happy birthdays!

Behind ouou said...

Thank you for letting us stay in a big-people's house this weekend, Korin. I finally found your blog, too! :)

Karen said...

Good luck on the job search :) Sounds like you're in a great area!!

 
UA-8545342-1