Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Born Into Color & PA turns out to be cool


The other day on a walk I came upon some snowdrops.
I could never get these spring bulbs to grow in Massachusetts, so haven't ever seen them other than in photos. Peeking out from among the ivy by the sidewalk, I was reminded of one of my favorite lines from Rumi: "Like someone suddenly born into color". This line goes through my head in times of great happiness, such a perfect reflection on the feeling of an uplifted heart.

Your way begins on the other side. Become the sky. Take an axe to the prison wall. Escape. Walk out like someone suddenly born into color. Do it now. You’re covered with thick cloud. Slide out the side. Die, and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign that you’ve died. Your old life was a frantic running from silence.
The speechless full moon comes out now.
-- Rumi


While thinning out my boxes of paper goods I found this little charm my friend BB sent me from her visit to Japan last year. (The frog, underneath, is from a flier of Japan and the Art of the Book~ an exhibition of book arts that was at the NYPL in 2007) In my recollection, it is the kind of thing one attaches to a bag or purse? Is this correct? Well, anyway, it was so wonderful to find her right in time for the trip. She's coming along in the car!

Lastly:

Alright, why didn't anybody tell me that The Colbert Report came to PA last week? Oh no! In our cable-less household, watching of the Daily Show and Colbert Report via internet is weekly, if there are no Netflix or major projects going on... but there have been so many major projects and Netflix that I confess... it had been a while since tuning in.
Argh!
Anyway, have a peek if you're not a regular viewer (or, like me, without cable). The show has been collecting children's drawings from local elementary school students of Clinton, Obama, and whats-his-name and they are really really funny.

Alright... okay ... starting to relax.... another thing I just discovered is a PA blog called DESIGNPHILADELPHIA. Seen it? Well, I'm a little late, but its a great read.

No comments:

 
UA-8545342-1